Sunday, November 21, 2010

THE ACQUISITON, PART I



I've been "workin' a deal" on some chickens, and this Saturday everything fell in place. These pretty birds now call our place HOME.

A friend and co-worker ended up housing some chickens for a young relative - I think it was one of those school projects that suddenly end up with live animals needing a home. While she loved the fresh eggs, the chicken poop left daily - hourly - on her patio proved to be more than she had bargained for. We discussed sending these chickens down the coast to live with us, but the rooster involved kept holding me back. Sambo is a very happy guy, with no one but Tribett to fight with, and we really want to keep it that way. My lack of egg production got the better of me though, and fast and furious emails ensued. In the meantime, two hens had vanished (it's never the rooster that 'goes missing'), so I figured I'd better act now while there were some layers left.

We caught them all fairly easily, and I brought them home in a pet carrier. For a couple of weeks, they'll live in the dog kennel. The dogs are more than happy to relinquish their prison to chickens. They hate being penned up and avoid it like the plague! This will give all the fowl a chance to get to know each other through the safety of a fence, and hopefully keep any of them from getting sick.



Meet Nathan, the rooster. He crows A LOT - and really, really early!


                      This is Star. It's said she has a bit of an attitude.


Boots - 'cause she has feathered legs.


And Sunny. As you can tell, she's very friendly and inquisitive.

The names came with the poultry. They happen to all be names I would choose - except for "Nathan." But it's growing on me. He's a very grand bird, but not in stature. More in attitude. My friend knows the probable fate for Nathan, and she's ok with it - as long as she doesn't hear about it. I also "know" the probable fate of Nathan, but hope springs eternal in my mind! What if Sammy and Nate become best rooster friends? Who needs chicken to have soup?

All seems well with the new birds, and I've already gotten an egg from one. At least they're earning their keep .... hint, hint, hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment