Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SLOW GOING

We only worked construction one day this past weekend. Yes, folks, we took a day off!! It doesn't happen very often, but this was a well-deserved break.
During the week, as promised, I stripped the posts for the porch. They started out looking like this:


With super-human strength, I wrestled these 10 foot long by 10 inch wide cedar posts out of the back of the pickup and up onto saw horses. Then with our trusty old drawknife, I stripped the bark off of all of them .... except for the last two. I actually couldn't even get them out of the pickup. I gave up and waited for Big John to get home. (I think that after he realized how heavy the were, he was impressed that I managed to do the first four. But he won't say it out loud. It doesn't matter - I'm pretty impressed myself!)

Turns out, the posts were so much bigger than we figured they'd be (super-human strength, I'm telling you!) that we only needed four. That was music to my ears, as that's how many I'd gotten done in the alloted time.

We managed to position the posts - MUCH harder than it looks - and run the rest of the rafters before it got dark. Here's where the construction stands now:



It doesn't look much different than it did the weekend before, but this was hard, heavy work. We hope to get the cross pieces laid on the rafters and tin on the roof this coming weekend. We're hoping for light winds for those projects. I really don't want to lose a finger to flying tin!

Slowly but surely, we're coming along. Have a great week!!

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!! GREAT JOB, HERCULES! How in the world did you move them yourself?? What a woman! It is going to look amazing! I can't wait until it's finished! LOVE YA! (Oh yeah...I FINALLY posted on my blog...)

    ReplyDelete