Tuesday, February 7, 2012

HATCHING QUAIL: PLAN B

Plan A:


Estate sale incubator's thermostat is off - way off. Big John has talked me through the calibration steps many times, but I'm just not the handyman he is. So we're on to Plan B.


With 24 hours of incubation under our belt - albeit not at the proper temperature - we had to come up with an alternative cooking method. A quick trip to the feed store netted a styrofoam version of an incubator. I went ahead and sprung for the automatic turner and quail rails. What the heck!


I've managed to complete the "some assembly required" to convert to quail-sized eggs, but am still playing with the temperature.


 And the most recent check of the Kuhl shows it's about at the right temperature. That figures. This is not as easy as it looks! I sure wish I had a broody hen right about now. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! How fun! I remember hatching out chickens, turkeys and ducks! It's so fun to watch!! Makes me want to fire up our industrial sized incubators! Loved your pics!

    ReplyDelete