Wednesday, September 26, 2012

GARDENING - A CONTACT SPORT


***WARNING: bloody photos included - don't look if you're squeamish


Most of the past weekend was spent enjoying time with friends at my 30th high school reunion. But once the festivities were over, Big John and I had a little time to work in the garden. We transplanted some tomatoes (finally found some heirlooms - Cherokee Purple - my favorite!) and planted more okra, broccoli and cauliflower seeds. Cucumbers have really taken off, so we decided to get the hog panels put up and ready for them to climb. This chore involves driving t-posts into the ground and wiring the panels to them. Big John and I were taking turns on the posts, but, as usual, I tired out faster than he did. He was driving one of my posts in the ground when the t-post driver (3 inch metal pipe with handles - heavy) slipped off the post and came crashing down on his head. OUCH!



Poor Big John - this cut seemed to bleed forever. I'm not usually one for rushing to the doctor; Neosporin and a Band-Aid will fix most anything, but this had me concerned. I didn't realize that head wounds bleed so badly. Once we determined Big John didn't need stitches, we decided to take an extended lunch break and rest a while. But being the workhorse that he is, Big John was back at it in a couple of hours. We managed to get all the garden work completed before we called it a night.



Glad that job is over! I think I'll invest in some hard hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment