Friday, May 14, 2010

The Dewberry Chronicles

I know - you're getting sick of dewberries! Just one more thing ... a few of us "dewberry fanatics" were comparing notes the other day. And it got me to wondering - what kind of dewberry cobbler do YOU make? I didn't realize there were so many different types. So I've done a little research, and I promised the girls that I wouldn't publish any secret recipes. Here are my preliminary findings:
  • "simple" cobbler: alternating layers of pie crust, butter, dewberries, sugar - repeat until you run out of dewberries or reach the top of the pie pan - very easy if you use store-bought crusts (but not as good as homemade)
  • "hasty" cobbler: this one has a cake-like batter (think: peach cobbler) poured over the dewberries - makes its own crust (Sally shared a sample of hers with me - I think it's my new favorite!)
  • custard-like cobbler:  combine dewberries and homemade custard, pour into pie crust and bake - very gourmet
  • crumb-topped cobbler: sugared dewberries in a pie crust, topped with a crumb topping - yum!
Now doesn't that look delicious?


Is your family recipe different? Please share - and give one of these a try. Hey, if it's got dewberries in it, you can't go wrong. Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment