Friday, June 4, 2010

Garden Odds and Ends

Just a quick update on the garden:

Did I tell you that I planted sunflowers? That was another of those brilliant farmers' market ideas! I've got to tell you the farmers' market story at some point, but it's a long one, so we'll save it for another time. The west garden fence is now lined with sunflowers. They're doing well, and we should have some blooms pretty soon.

This patch to the west of the sunflowes is set to be the pumpkin patch. In tribute to my very favorite uncle, Uncle Dick (Wine, to those who loved him) we're going to plant about 80 feet of pumpkins! They need to get in the ground soon to make their date with destiny. We've got a couple of varieties, one being a glowing white pumpkin! Spooky!



The garden is growing beautifully, and the herbs are outpacing even the squash and tomatoes. Seems I misjudged the world's love of fresh herbs and overplanted. I know that once I start canning tomato sauce, I'll be able to get a handle on their output. Big John is making a drying rack for now so that they don't go to waste.

 We're planning to hang it from the ceiling in the guest bedroom - same room we've stashed the 6 gallon crock of sauerkraut. Can you imagine the mingling of smells? I guess that's one way to cut down on the number of overnight guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment