Friday, August 19, 2011

CARDINAL BUFFET

I'm trying very hard to find beauty in the midst of this drought. And I'm trying to post in a positive tone, so as not to let on how desperate we feel for the need for rain - in case you're wondering why you haven't heard from me in a while. It's been hard to find the beauty and positivity! Rain, please. Pretty, pretty please.

We've been watching these cardinals feast for a couple of weeks now. It's a hoot, and a pleasant distraction from the struggles of finding hay, checking water, and so on. So I thought I'd share!

Big John's valiant efforts to save sunflower seeds for next year made it this far:



He harvested the largest, most promising seed heads and hung them on the fence. I think the next step was that someone (me?) was supposed to get paper sacks and bag the flower heads. Oops. And so the sunflowers have hung on the fence for quite a while now...

And then came the cardinals!



And they called all their friends!



And they have feasted gratefully on the forgotten sunflower heads!



It means we won't have any seeds saved for spring planting, but the cardinals are very happy! It's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment