Friday, August 19, 2011

A MOTHER'S LOVE

You probably already know I love my cows. I love the way the look. I love the way they sound. I love the way they smell. (NO, I don't mean the manure smell. I mean the sweet cow smell.) I just love everything about them.

Elsie and her boy are in the pen this week. Els is rehabbing a bad leg and her boy is just mooching. He's big enough to be weaned, but he puts up such a fuss twice a day (milk time) that I gave in and penned him up too. The bad news is that both of them are headed to town next week. Elsie's injury isn't something she'll get over, and the drought and good calf prices have demanded we ship calves a little earlier than ususal.

But they don't know that now! In the meantime, Elsie is enjoying her stay at Moo Motel - shade, hay, cubes, water - all within a short walking distance and without any competition. And her boy is loving a free milk meal whenever he wants.

Oh, and he's loving this, too:


(look at that milk foam in the corner of his mouth - pathetic!)




A mother's love is a great thing - no matter what species you are!

1 comment: