Monday, May 28, 2012

I USED TO HAVE A GARAGE ...

Once upon a time, long ago in a land far away, I used to have a garage. It was a wonderful two-car garage - with two amazing automatic garage door openers that still work if you hold the button up to your chin and stick out your tongue at the same time - and with three tiny closets with vintage wood paneled doors and beautiful old glass doorknobs (glass doorknobs on a garage closet! Go figure!) It had room enough for rows and rows of shelves that I carefully and faithfully, once every 47 years, sorted, edited and arranged.  It held two freezers and two coolers, which we packed to the gills with meat and veggies - just in case the world came to an end tomorrow. We'd be stocked up!


It had a back door with a great little dog/cat/chicken/skunk door at the bottom.


It's seen better days - both the back door and the pet door - but Daisy still loved to hang her head outside to see if we were doing anything worth joining in. She's such a goober.


And it actually held two cars, like every two-car garage should (but most don't.) I took pride in that! It held my beautiful new Jeep - which ain't so new anymore, but which I still adore.


And it's held all sorts of other vehicles over the 47 years of my memory: from my parents' 1970s white Ford LTD (which they insisted was blue - will never figure that one out) to my mom's turquoise Volvo (we were the only people I knew with a Volvo - back in the day!) to her two Lincoln Versailles, which were her very favorites ever - to Daddy's teeny tiny red Ford Fiesta, which was his way of making a round trip all over South Texas each and every day on just a few dollars in gas - and was jam packed with more stuff than one can imagine.

Yes, once upon a time I had a garage. And I loved it.

But that was BB --- Before Birds.

They've completely taken over.





Once upon a time, I had a garage. I miss it...



1 comment: