Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"HERB" BED


Originally, this area in front of the building was going to be my herb bed. Big John helped me line it out and put in the edging. I added lots of compost and had the chickens help me till it in. But it just wasn't wide enough to hold the herbs I wanted to plant. So I changed the plan and made this a flower bed - problem solved!

I spent today adding more material and planting. I can grow vegetables pretty well, but I'm notoriously bad with flowers. The fact that I have free-range chickens and geese doesn't help the situation. Over the years, I've come to know which flowering plants geese don't eat. Plumbago seems to do well in the heat and without constant watering, and the geese won't eat it. I decided to alternate plumbago with a pretty yellow-flowering plant that I can't remember the name of - hopefully geese won't eat it either!


I'm happy with the finished product - the flowers dress it up quite a bit. There will probably be a pretty little fence installed (as soon as I find one) to keep the dogs from wallowing in the cool dirt. And there might be more beds along the north and east sides in the future ... in the distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment