Wednesday, October 10, 2012

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY

'
One year ago today, we began construction on the building to house a commercial kitchen, studio, and workshop.

What started out as this:


evolved into this:


then this:





and now looks like this:


What a difference a year makes!! Big John worked his tail off almost every spare minute he had. I can't count how many fishing trips he passed up - just to make my dream come true. What a great husband he is! We are both pretty happy to be just about finished. We love working on projects, but this one has been a killer.

I've started moving things into the kitchen and studio.






I still need some shelving in the kitchen, but other than that, it's good to go. In the studio, we're waiting on a countertop to come in that will go along the north wall. Under the south wall, Big John is going to build a cabinet to house this treasure of an old sink I found.


It still needs a little cleanup, but that's probably about as good as it's going to get. It's a good thing 'perfection' isn't the look I'm after! This beauty is exactly what I was looking for. In fact, we found the same sink in the restaurant where we bought the vent hood and Vulcan stove - but it wasn't for sale, no matter how hard I tried. A couple of weeks later, I ran across this one - for free! Right place/right time!

This weekend we hope to get the lattice put up around the building, to keep the chickens out of their favorite daytime napping spot. Then I can continue work on the herb bed along the porch. 

Big John's workshop is completely finished, with just a few things that still need to be put away. We've been able to use it to complete the trim work in the studio, and it's a really nice space. With the building project winding down, maybe he'll actually get a chance to enjoy it!



I hope you enjoyed the look back at our "little" building project. It's been fun!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the reveal! WOW! Y'all are an awesome team!!!! Love the paint color choices - especially the turquoises! It'll be time for a visit soon...Can't wait to see it in person!!! LOVE YA!!

    ReplyDelete