Saturday, June 4, 2011

WEEDS ON A WEDNESDAY

"WHAT DID YOU DO ALL DAY, HONEY?"
That's the question I've been dreading/dodging/avoiding for the past 4 days now.

I knew it was coming. He'd have to ask. Heck, I'd have to ask HIM if the shoe were on the other foot.

But he didn't. Big John didn't ask me once (during the 12 times we spoke today) about what I'd gotten accomplished. Mostly because I tried to head him off at the pass. I tried to sing my own praises every chance I got; to remind him of what a workhorse he married. But Big John's really not that kind of guy in the first place. In fact, at one point this afternoon, he actually uttered the words SUSIE and NAP in the same sentence. And who am I to argue with an Agent? So I took one. A short, restful, energizing one, and then I got right back to work!!

Just in case YOU were wondering what I did on a Wednesday, I took this:


135 feet of careless weeds starving out my sunflowers.
                                                   
And turned it into this:


This is what it looked like as I made my way down the row. Slowly. Very, very slowly.
And sweatily. Very, very sweatily...
at 6:30 Wednesday morning - when, I swear, it was already 94 degrees with humidity to match.
UGH.

But I persevered. I'm nothing if I'm not a persever-er. 
4 hours and a couple of iced tea breaks later - DONE! Now I just have to go back and pick up all those weeds. One thing at a time; no rush; I've got all summer to mark this off my list! 

In other farm news, the big chicks are getting regular time oustide the goose pen these days. They are in chicken heaven! They still stick together pretty well, all moving in a chirping clump. And they still take little breaks inside the coop - it's safe in there.



What's not so safe is this little situation:



Daisy was keeping one eye on those tasty little chicks


and the other on me as she was vigorously chewing that chew bone -
that probably tasted just like little chick!


Meanwhile, the little chicks are getting some outside time in the poultry playpen.
They're loving it as well.

All is good right now on the farm!



Have you hugged a chicken today?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOUR POSTS! I FEEL LIKE I AM RIGHT THERE AMONG THE CARELESS WEEDS AND CHICKEN SCAT! The place looks as beautiful as ever - you dang workhorse...I'm more on the creative edge, dreaming up new designs and creations in the studio with never one dendrite alerting me about the weeds in the garden...I think all living things should be given a chance. Just say NO to WEEDING! Loved it - I could feel the freedom in those lil' forked toes of the precious poultry you possess! Can't wait to see the next post!

    ReplyDelete