Thursday, July 15, 2010

PETTICOAT JUNCTION - CARANCAHUA CREEK STYLE!

Do any of you remember that TV show, "Petticoat Junction" from the '60s? That's the first thing that pops into my mind when I see our outdoor shower!


My friend Smiley (aka: Wendy) has had an outdoor shower at her house for quite some time. She goes out for a run in the mornings, then rinses off outside when she's done. So cool and refreshing - it sounded like just what we needed here at the ranch. With all the gardening and construction, we've have some mighty filthy days lately. Big John was in agreement, so we set out to build ourselves an outdoor shower!

Initially, Big John just ran a pipe off the water faucet on the end of the house, screwed a shower head on it, and we were done. It served the purpose, but it wasn't very pretty. The wheels began to turn, and before you knew it, we'd come up with some improvements to the outdoor shower.

It began with pouring a little slab (ANOTHER little slab) and setting Mexican beach stones in it. I had found some pebbled floor tile, made for shower floors, that would have cost over $100. This was Big John's $20 solution - and it's MUCH prettier!


Next we set the four corner posts (more mixing of concrete - ugh),


ran the cross pieces and screwed on the pickets.



A door was built and installed



and viola! We have an outdoor shower! Future plans include a pull-chain (think: haz-mat shower) so that you can get a blast of water when you need it. I'm told that might enable me to have a warmer outdoor shower experience - as long as I'm the first one in!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT! I WANT ONE!!! CAN YOU PUT ONE TOGETHER WHILE YOU"RE UP HERE ON THURSDAY? WOW! REMINDS ME OF MY SHOWER WHEN I LIVED IN A TENT FOR 2 YEARS ON THE CHESAPEAKE BAY! WAY TO GO BIG JOHN!!!

    ReplyDelete