Sunday, April 25, 2010

Date Night at the Fire Pit

After 16 years together, Big John still takes me on a hot date every now and then. I have to say, this was the best one in a while!

 Last weekend, we made sure to finish up early so we'd have enough energy to sit out by the fire pit, cook some supper, and enjoy the cool evening. We don't get many of those before summer sets in. Big John lit some oak in the fire pit while I went inside and got all gussied up ... NOT! It's been 16 years - there ain't much "gussyin" left!











I put together some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and sliced some red bell peppers and poblanos. Big John got the skirt steak and chicken thighs seasoned up, and we were set. We even heated the tortillas over the fire! La comida era muy deliciosa! I tried a version of s'mores - all the right ingredients, just not the right proportions. The graham crackers were a bit toasty (burnt), but edible. I'm a country girl, not a girl scout. I'm still not sure how you make s'mores - I just know it's not like this!












Once again, no "after" pictures were taken of the meal - or even thought of - until after it had been devoured. Trust me, it looked as good as it tasted. And it tasted damn good.  That Big John is one hell of a cook. That's another reason I love him so!











We relaxed by the fire - here's a rare photo of Big John smiling. He doesn't smile too often for pictures. (Tick smiles all the time!) And me - yes, I'm awake, but 2 sips of that wine cooler was starting to do me in. When did I get so old I can't even drink a wine cooler without falling asleep? Man, that stinks! (Tick's still smiling!)

This time we managed to stay awake until it got dark - sure takes a while to get dark this time of year. We were worn out, but it was worth it. Sittin' out by the fire, listening to the chickens' pillow talk, hearing the hoot owls callin' each other and one lone cow bawling for her calf. That's why I live in the country - and always will.

Thanks for a wonderful evening Big John. I had a blast! Let's do it again real soon!

1 comment:

  1. Y'all look FABULOUS - as does your place...as usual! Loved hearing about the date night by the firepit...maybe I need to chill out and try all that date stuff out again...I'm so guarded...maybe too much so...

    ReplyDelete