Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dewberry Season!


It's dewberry season here in Jackson County. All that winter rain we got made all the difference in the world. We're dewberry rich! Big John and I picked for a little while yesterday, and then I picked again today. This is my haul from a couple of hours "work." (It's not much like work - more like a lot of fun!) I'd call it a successful weekend - enough dewberries to make the first cobbler of the season - almost all gone at this point, and several quarts to freeze. AND NO RATTLESNAKES!! What was it Teddy Roosevelt said? "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Well, tread lightly and carry a big stick - works for dewberry pickin' too. Just one more reason to live in the suburbs of Francitas! Home sweet home.

1 comment:

  1. OHHHH, I miss dewberry season! We only have wild plums up here...I love reading your blog! Keep it up...daily! Y'all garden (from the chicken coop roof) is completely and totally AMAZING, CLEAN, ORGANIZED and PERFECT! I wish I was more of an OCD TYPE-A person...

    ReplyDelete