Sunday, April 17, 2011

PLAN B

We did some yard work today, along with garden upkeep. My shooting buddy, BB, got us a great deal on some cannas. The hard freezes we had this past winter did a number on my beautiful orange cannas that fill the north wall of the house. I've been filling in some gaps as I can find cannas, but the large green-leafed orange flowered ones are hard to come by. We decided to add some red flower and yellow flower to the bed (red + yellow = orange!) and I got those planted first thing this morning.


That looked good, and they should fill in nicely.

BB also snagged some red-leafed red flower cannas. I needed those to finish filling in around an oak tree in the front yard. Several years ago, Big John surprised me with building some borders around a tree and another mott of oaks, to give me some places to plant flowers. I just haven't kept up with either one, so it seemed like time to work on those.

Turns out, oak tree roots are impossible to dig through. Big John even brought the tractor around with the post hole digger - but it just wasn't worth the effort. Plan B:



We just added the big red-leafs to the green-leafs and made one big bed of cannas!



And you may notice the fence around them. It seems that cannas are a delicacy in the goose crowd. Sort of like stuffed jalapenos are to us. They'll eat them all day long.

And the flower beds around the oaks - one down and one to go. We're taking them out. I'm not about to fight those roots to plant something the geese will probably eat anyway!



Sunny was excited about the change in landscaping - lots of yummy bugs and grubs to eat!



We also added a palm tree to the scheme! A freebie from BB and his family (BB's mom and I tackle the task of educating 6th graders together,) we planted it beside the outdoor shower - that's the 'tropical' side of the house!



It should look pretty cool once everything greens up and fills in. Our own little paradise in Jackson County!


No comments:

Post a Comment