Tuesday, April 5, 2011

PROGRESS

Things are happening quickly in the garden! I love springtime! While I was at work one day last week, Big John fenced the new garden space.


This should be enough to keep ALL the animals out - horses, heifers, geese, and chickens. We won't have anybody snacking on our fruit, like they did last year.


On Sunday we made the rows - seven of them in all, with maybe room for one or two more. This was a chore we'd been putting off, for obvious reasons. It was a chore. We each got a hoe, started at opposite ends and worked our way to the middle. It went faster than anticipated, and the best part is - it's done!



We even carved out an aisle for my sunflowers again this year. I've got some packs of seeds left over, but am also going to plant some of the seeds I harvested from the flowers. I'll probably mix them together as I plant, just in case one or the other isn't viable. I loved having fresh sunflower bouquets. I can't wait for them again!



After a long day at school - after-school tutorials are in high gear - I came home to this wonderful sight. Seems Big John had been very, very busy. He planted all but one of the new rows with more squash, tomatoes, okra, colored bell peppers, and jalapenos. We've got one row left for more pickling cukes. He even ran the soaker hoses and watered it in. What a great guy I married!



You may remember last summer, when we had 20 inches of rain, we purchased two water tanks in the hopes of catching rainfall and using it to irrigate. We bought at the right time and filled both tanks on the first day of a huge rain. We've been saving that water ever since. Big John found just the right pump last weekend, came home, and rigged it all up. He started using water in the small tank, and it's working out just right.


We also took care of putting up panels for the climbers - cucumbers and peas. The "peas" were supposed to be okra - but have come up completely differently. We're just guessing that they're peas - whatever they are, they're growing well and vining. I just hope they're delicious!



I also came home to a "gift" from Big John - a composter. I've tried my hand at composting, more times than I'd care to admit. It should be simple: add plant matter, soil, water, heat, and turn. Nature does it's thing and beautiful, rich compost is made. With the hens and heifers eating everything I put in the pile, I just haven't accomplished much. I think Big John has given up on my composting abilities. Now we'll try the commercial version. This goes against everything I believe in and am about to embark upon - doing things the old-fashioned way - but maybe it will give me the head start I've needed. I'll keep you updated. Hopefully, "COMPOST HAPPENS!"



No comments:

Post a Comment