Friday, March 18, 2011

A TRIP TO TOWN

Yesterday, we made a trip to the big city. It was pretty uneventful - we both did fairly well on the diet train, with a slight derailment for Marble Slab. But we got small cups (no waffle bowls) and it was SO worth the calories. The fact that I don't know how many calories we're talking about makes it easier to say that! But when I weighed this morning, I've lost 2 pounds. That's enough to keep me going!!

Today, we made a trip into town. And this time, we filled the pickup with supplies - not all of which were on the list. Hopefully, the most noticable to you, dear readers, is A NEW CAMERA!!!! We actually bought TWO new cameras - one for me and one for Big John. Yeah, I know. That pretty much blows the budget, but I think they will be worth the extra calories, as well!!



(This was taken with the point-and-shoot.)

It all started a while back with Big John mentioning, from time to time, that he wanted to buy a good camera. Not being a photog, I really didn't know what he meant. Our little Sony point-and-shoot digital was pretty cool to me. I know how to use it, and it takes good pictures. I have some problems with blurriness, but that's just me being shaky. I asked him at one point what kind of money we were talking about, and when he replied, I nipped that thought in the bud .... or so I intended. And then Big John decided he was going to work some extra-duty work for the sole purpose of making the money to buy his camera. Now that sounds reasonable, but I was still against the idea. I come around slowly to him spending money sometimes!! Eventually it dawned on me that Big John getting a really good camera could be a great thing for ME! The blog, a book idea I've been mulling over, nature - yeah, I sure could use a good camera. So we went to look/buy today. And the more Big John talked about all the things HE was going to take pictures of, I realized this would be HIS camera. Period. Sure, he assured me, if I needed it for a day and he wasn't planning on using it, he might leave it at home for me. Maybe. If there wasn't the slightest chance he'd need it. And if I took a course on how not to break it. And signed a contract. And gave the scout's pledge. Twice.

So we just bought two of them.

That's how that happened.

Boy, that was dumb.

But that's how we roll.

Now y'all will be bombarded with photos. We've been snapping them ever since we got home. The store had some Sucker Special - the more you bought, the more they discounted it all. I fall for those every time. We ended up with cameras, lenses, cases, filters, tripods, times two. I'm not sure what all that stuff is for, but if Big John was getting it, then I needed it too, by golly.

(We did the same thing with Jeeps.

Only I got mine first. Then he couldn't stand it and got one, too.

Do you see a pattern here? We're not that good for each other.)

Yet we're still together, after 18 years. It's day by day, people.

So brace yourselves, dear readers, for my photo learning experience. I hope to get (much) better over time!

Signing off,

Susie the Photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment